Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Day to Remember

Sometimes a date sneaks up on you without warning. It's my unfortunate luck that it usually happens in conjunction with the birthday of someone I love. However, this time it's personal. August 13th, 2001 is the day that Husband proposed to me. He planned it perfectly and it went off without a flaw; he popped the question where we had our first date: a cozy little B&B at the resort where we used to work. I was completely unsuspecting as we sat by the fireplace waiting for our dessert, and it arrived on a tray with a little red box (if he was going to propose, you would have thought he would have done it at dinner, when we had that fancy bottle of French wine that our friend the innkeeper brought from his own cellar ). Being a person who adores surprises, I have to say that it was the surprise of my life. I will never forget the twinkle in his eye when he knelt to ask me, or the literal out-of-body experience that I felt.

It's amazing to me that eight years has passed so quickly. Is the rest of my life going to happen this way? To hear people our parents' ages tell it, it will. Not only has the time passed quickly, but as I look back over the years, we've done a LOT: bought a condo, closed a business, had a baby, changed jobs, moved to Denver, bought a house, had another baby, gone back to school, and we're getting ready for another baby. And all of it - every bit of it - has felt perfectly right. There's such peace in knowing that I love where I am and that I'm here, doing this thing called life, with Stephen Federocko.

No comments: