Friday, August 7, 2009

Family Viewing

Wednesday morning our whole family headed downtown to the Perinatologist's office for my second Stage II ultrasound. This is apparently what you do when you're of "Advanced Maternal Age". Being all of 35, I can tell you that I don't think of myself as being nearly as advanced in age as the American Medical Association does. After an hour-long wait and some confusing results from a blood test, we were all given a glimpse of the next Federocko. More than a glimpse actually. We were treated to 40 minutes of ultrasound including 3-D images. The boys (and we) were amazed at how much they could see, as they pointed out the ear, eyes, hands, mouth, etc. At one point, Kirby said, with a note of relief in his voice, "Mom, I thought you were going to have to swallow a tube with a camera on it so we could see this baby."

No doubt the most exciting - and memorable - moment came when the doctor informed us that he could see a "stubby little penis" (a statement I'm sure Husband had mixed feelings about). That's right...IT'S A BOY!!!

A lot of people have asked us if we'd be disappointed to have another boy. There's certainly the disappointment of knowing that this will likely be our last baby, and we won't have the opportunity to raise a daughter. However, the thought of having adding to our testosterone-laden little brood is so fun for both of us. We both thoroughly enjoy all of the boy-ness. Plus, there's the added benefit for me of being the only girl - fewer bathroom trips over the years and a free weekends during all of the future father/son camping trips!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I didn't get to have a 3D ultrasound. I hear they are amazing. What a great experience for your kiddos. I'm still laughing about the "pee fairy" post. "If I had a dime for every..." well, I'd be a few dollars richer, now, wouldn't I?

Hope you all had a great time. Still a little melancholy about it, but I'll somehow manage. Somehow...:0)