Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mommy's Little Helpers

Wow...May 19th! That's the last time I posted. I have such a hard time motivating myself to write these days. Well, I guess that's been the case for several months now. I still compose posts in my head, but most of them never actually make it out of the jungle of my marshmallow mommy-brain.

The boys are out of school now, and we are excited about having two months of not having to run around like crazy chickens with no heads every morning. I'm feeling good about the boys' summer chore list, and I think they are too. Two new rules that I think are going to be life changing for me are:

1) TV goes off at 8am
2) B.O.B. time for 30 minutes every afternoon (an old camp term for "Body on Bunk")

So far, both of these little babies look promising. On the one whole day we've gotten to try implementing them (Friday), we got a lot done in the morning, and Connor actually fell asleep and took a nap!

You know, sometimes when I hit on something that seems like a real gem to me, I wonder why I didn't start doing it earlier. Then I have this moment of pleasant revelation when it occurs to me, "Hey, I'm the mom here. I can make rules like this whenever I want!". I mean, I don't want to abuse my parental power or anything, but I think I'm going to start thinking about what works for me a little more. I'm also finding that teaching the boys how to clean their own bathroom - a multiple-step training process - has very real payoffs. Geez! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

No comments: